Interested in a transition

R

Rob

Hi, I brought this tile as i like the style but i don’t know what it says!! any more info appreciated, thanks

E8FF2FB8-4F36-4375-AEA1-A124CE48BDAC.jpeg

95243A8F-2F11-4375-B520-82CEB7E03587.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks for you participation, the translation of that Calligraphy on the tiles means :" The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom" it is written in Thuluth script.

Hi, thanks for that.

i bought it second hand and assume it’s relatively modern, who do you think the tile was originally made for? and does it fit with being from Palestine?

A few years ago i was amazed by the artistry of kufic script on some plates, unfortunately I don’t have the budget for museum pieces, can you suggest any alternatives?

I found this information about that plate you can read it here:

This ceramic plate is one of the Iranian examples left from the Samanid rule on the east of the Iranian plateau. During this period, many ceramic vessels were made to imitate native metal specimens, especially silver artifacts left over from the Sassanid tradition. The surface of the pot is covered with water diluted with white pottery and then glazed to create a beautiful contrast with the black patterns of Kofi. Kufic motifs in Arabic are designed to imitate black enamel, usually on silver.
This work is now housed in the Victoria and Albert Museum in England

Regarding the alternative you can find pieces close to it in Islamic stores like Khan Khali in Cairo.

Back